Thursday 2 July 2020

Man and woman in bed at 10 pm, Charles Bukowski (1970)

I feel like a can of sardines, she said.
I feel like a band-aid, I said,
I feel like a tuna fish sandwich, she said.
I feel like a sliced tomato, I said.
I feel like it’s gonna rain, she said.
I feel like the clock has stopped, I said.
I feel like the door’s unlocked, she said.
I feel like an elephant’s gonna walk in, I said.
I feel like we ought to pay the rent, she said.
I feel like we oughta get a job, I said.
I feel like you oughta get a job, she said.

I don’t feel like working, I said.

I feel like you don’t care for me, she said.
I feel like we oughta make love, I said.
I feel like we’ve been making too much love, she said.
I feel like we oughta make more love, I said.
I feel like you oughta get a job, she said.
I feel like you oughta get a job, I said.
I feel like a drink, she said.
I feel like a 5th of whiskey, I said.
I feel like we’re going to end up on wine, she said.
I feel like you’re right, I said.
I feel like giving up, she said.
I feel like I need a bath, I said.
I feel like you need a bath too, she said.
I feel like you ought to bathe my back, I said.
I feel like you don’t love me, she said.
I feel like I do love you, I said.
I feel that thing in me now, she said.
I feel that thing in you now too, I said.
I feel like I love you now, she said.
I feel like I love you more than you do me, I said.
I feel wonderful, she said, I feel like screaming.
I feel like going on forever, I said.
I feel like you can, she said.
I feel, I said.
I feel, she said.

 
(Mockingbird wish me luck, 1972)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment